Probably, each user was faced with the fact that his computer, when launched, loads a browser, which opens unclear links. Also often there are cases when in social networks or on pages of decent content sites there appear blocks of obscene nature or containing spam. What does this mean and how dangerous is this for your computer?
Advertising on the Internet - what it is?
Advertising on the pages of the sites is different:
- Contextual advertising, which appears in certain places on the site, designed specifically for the location of such advertising. It practically does not interfere and can be blocked by special extensions - anti-banners.
- Blocks with advertising, which appear where they should not be. Advertising is not blocked by extensions and when you try to close the block manually opens a new tab with ads.
- Advertising that appears in new tabs when the browser starts.
The second and third types of advertising are very annoying to users, since they appear where they should not be and to deal with them is difficult - closing the tab, you can not protect yourself from not appearing again. Why is this happening and how can I make it so that new tabs with ads no longer open?
The reason is the virus!
Undoubtedly, many users, when they constantly open tabs with advertisements, scan their computer for viruses and check autoload. Most often, in such cases, the antivirus program detects nothing, and there is nothing suspicious or superfluous in the startups. But the problem with the appearance of new tabs is and does not disappear anywhere. If the antivirus program did not find problems, then there are no viruses, but what is it then?
In fact, this is the result of having a kind of "pest". Antivirus programs do not see it because it is registered directly in the browser.
It can appear in many ways. Sometimes you open tabs with ads after installing the software of a suspicious developer. Other elements can be included in the installation files of such software, so it is very important to pay attention to the whole process during the installation of such programs and note that in addition to the necessary programs it is proposed to install and remove the tick from the corresponding items in time.
How to get rid of obsessive advertising?
If advertising began to appear after the software was installed from an untested developer, it would be logical to simply remove the program and all the elements that were installed with it. But, as practice shows, this problem does not solve, and all the same open tabs with advertising. You can solve the problem in the following ways:
- Change the properties of the web browser shortcut;
- Use the appropriate utilities.
Browser shortcut settings and how to change them
The information is relevant for different browsers: Google Chrome, Mazila, Safari, Opera. Opens the tab with ads due to the fact that the properties of the shortcut browser have been changed. The anti-virus can not determine this, so it is necessary to check and fix everything manually.
Check whether this is the reason for the appearance of new tabs, perhaps in the following way:
- Find the desktop shortcut on the desktop.
- Click the right mouse button on the shortcut to bring up the context menu and select the "Properties" item.
- In the appeared window, pay attention to the line "Object" - there must be a path to the browser. If after the name of the browser and the extension (the extension should be * .exe) is the address of any site, then the problem is changing the shortcut settings.
Just delete what is registered after the browser is located in the "Object" line does not work - the operating system blocks such editing. But there is a solution. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Open the location of the file. In the properties of the shortcut there is a button "File Location", it will help to quickly move to the right place.
- In the list that opens, find the file "Internet Browser Application".
- Select it and right click on the context menu.
- In the context menu, find "Send" => "Desktop" (create shortcut).
- Delete the old shortcut from the desktop.
- After the done actions, check the properties of the new shortcut. The string object must end with the name of the browser with the application extension.
Note: if the old shortcut was attached to the taskbar, remove it from there and attach a new shortcut.
After performing such actions, the browser opens its start page after launch.
The tools for fighting advertising in new tabs
In order not to do all the work on the detection and removal of viruses manually, special tools are used. These programs are able to find what missed your anti-virus and fix the problem, which opens tabs with ads.
In order to check the computer, the program is installed and then the scan is started. There are free versions of such utilities and paid with a trial period. One of these free programs is Malwarebytes Antimalware. It is easy to use and does not conflict with antivirus software.
No matter how good utilities are, they are not always able to solve such problems, and therefore you have to manually do everything yourself. Sometimes even you need to demolish all browsers and reinstall them.
By the way, not always reinstalling the web browser helps. Why do I open the advertisement tab after reinstalling it? Most likely, when uninstalling, the hidden folders in which the viruses were saved were not deleted. You can find them at the address "From: \ Users \ username \ AppData \ Local \", and also "From: \ Users \ username \ AppData \ Roaming \".
How to protect yourself from such problems
A certain prevention reduces the risk of difficulties, in consequence of which the tabs with advertising are opened. First of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the antivirus that is installed on the computer. Ideally, it should be a licensed version with the latest updates. Secondly, do not download and install software untested developers. If, however, there is no other way out - monitor the installation process and prevent the installation of unnecessary objects.
Timely inspection and prevention - the best protection of your computer from malicious programs.