If you ask people what a handicap is, you can get answers very much, and very different. The thing is that handicaps are a fairly broad and multi-valued concept that is used both in medicine, psychology, biology, and in various sports, as well as in betting (bets on various sporting events). Let's understand what it is, and what is the meaning of this term in various cases.
A bit of history
As already mentioned, the concept of "handicapes" is rather polysemantic, used in various spheres of human life. However, this word is most actively used in sports and means giving a weaker participant some advantage at the start or during the competition.
For example, in the old days, when horse races enjoyed frenzied popularity, slower horses were often exposed to 150-200 meters ahead to somewhat equalize the ability of horses. It is this distance between the participants of the race that was called the handicap.
And now let's examine what in different sciences and spheres of our life activity is meant by this term. So, handicaps are:
1. In biology: detrimental to survival, features that carry evolutionarily relevant information about the qualitative genetic material of the male. The most striking example: only genetically "strong" peacock is able to live up to the mature age with a beautiful and large tail, which just acts as a negative feature for survival, as it attracts the attention of predators. Such a non-trivial concept of evolutionary theory was formulated by the Israeli zoologist Amotz Zahavi (Amots Zahavi).
2. In psychology and medicine: the conditions under which a person experiences various personal problems in the process of adaptation to social conditions and social relations. This condition is conditioned, as a rule, by specific features of individual development of physical, intellectual and psycho-emotional abilities.
3. In sports competitions, handicaps are:
- The advantage (odds) that are provided to equalize the odds for the weakest player. For example, in chess, a stronger player starts the game without one or more pieces.
- Sports, with a preliminary equalization of the opportunities for winning, in which athletes of different levels of training, age or sex take part. As a rule, weak participants are provided with a head start in time.
4. In races at the racetrack, handicaps are equalizing the chances of victory for horses of different class and age.
5. In betting: one of the types of betting on the result, which is based on the forecast of the victory of the team or the participant in the match or in the competitions, provided that the competitor himself or his opponent has any odds (in glasses, games or goals) Bookmakers. To determine the outcome of betting with handicap, the actual results of the competitions or matches are recounted using the number of handicap.
And now let's move on to sports games.
Handicap in golf and football
In such a sporting discipline as golf, handicap is a numerical expression of qualification, the level of the athlete. There is a fairly flexible qualification system, which makes it possible to compete for participants of different levels, for example, in one tournament both a novice player and a world champion can act. In this case, the novice can win, thanks to the advantage given to him.
The number of already scored goals in the gate of a stronger team - that's what a handicap in football. As a rule, the handicap is determined in advance, but it is declared both before the game and after. Hidden to the end of the match, the advantage of the fans' interest in the game is unequal in the level of teams.
Bets on sports and matches in various sports are accepted both in regular and online bookmakers. The handicap in betting is exposed on the majority of sports disciplines: usually it is hockey with a washer, volleyball, basketball, football, and also other summer and winter sports. Bookmakers use both Asian and European handicaps.
Concept and varieties
Now let's take a closer look at what handicap betting means. This is a bet (money) for any sporting event or match in which one of the competitors enters into the game with a contingency. This advantage, depending on the sport, can be expressed in points, points, minutes or goals. The bet can be both positive - if placed on the leader, or negative - on the outsider.
In addition, handicaps are divided into Asian and European.
The European handicap (EH) offers three possible outcomes for the event - a win, a draw, a loss, and uses only integer values to determine the advantage, for example, 0: 3 or 0: 1.
In the event that the final score is exactly in the forefront, it's a draw. For example, if you put a European handicap on any team (-1), then in practice, the bet with a -1.5 odds is out, as in case of winning the team in one ball, the winning bet will be a draw for the draw.
A relatively new kind of betting for matches of football teams is the Asian handicap. He has only two possible outcomes: a loss or a victory, and there is no concept of a "draw". A certain handicap is given by one of the teams and added to the final result. In the event that the team on which the bet was made wins, taking into account the advantage, then the winner wins.
Let's briefly consider the main types of Asian handicaps:
- Handicap 0 - Draw no Bet, DNB. Some bookmakers call it "Draw: no bet." If the team wins, the bet wins. If the result of the match is a draw, then the player gets back the money that he put. The team lost - the player lost, and the money "left". This bet is useful if you play two roughly equal strength teams, and the probability of a draw is high.
- Handicap 1. If you bet a -1, the team must win at a minimum, with a difference of two balls. If the team on which the bet was made, loses or achieves a draw, the player will lose money. If the match ends in a victory with one goal, then the bet will return unchanged.
You can bet on the team winning the odds +1, adding one goal to the final score of the selected team. If you take into account this ball, it wins - your money. In the event that, taking into account the advantage of 1 goal, the match was a "draw" - money is simply returned. In all other variants of the development of events, the rate is considered a loser. For example, you bet on the victory of the "Volga" with the odds +1 against Zenit. If the "Volga" will be the winner or draw a tie - the bet wins. If the team loses in 1 ball, the money simply returns. Stvavka is considered lost if Zenit scores 2 or more goals.
- Handicap 1.5. In the event that the handicap is taken at -1.5, then for the win it is necessary for the team to score at least two goals, for any smaller account the bet will lose. With an advantage of +1.5 to get money, it is necessary that the team either win, or grab a draw, or miss one goal.
- Double Asian handicap. In this case, the player's bet is divided into two parts. So, for example, if the handicap is +0.75, then half will go to the +0.5, and the second part to +1.
Thus, to calculate Asian handicaps is quite simple: the advantage is added to the final result. If the team won - the bet wins, the draw - the money returns, the loss of the team - the loss of money.